A specialist in the K-2 200 m, Hugues Fournel is a kayaker who excels in international competitions, particularly since the 200 m became an Olympic event in 2010. A real sports enthusiast, Hugues has always wanted to live the Olympic dream by competing in the same sport as his father. He got his chance in Rio in 2016, obtaining his ticket to Brazil just days before the games due to some unforeseen circumstances!
|First and last name:||Hugues Fournel|
|Date and place of birth:||August 25, 1988|
|Age:||27 years old|
Best or most recent results:
- 9th place at the 2015 World Championships in Milan, Italy
- 3rd place at the 2015 Copenhagen World Cup
- 5th place at the 2014 Milan World Cup
- 7th place at the 2012 London Olympic Games
- 1st place at Guadalajara Pan-Am Games in the K-2 200 m
Number of years in the sport:
Hugues started kayaking when he was still a child. His father was an Olympian and his mother was also a kayaker, and he joined the Lachine Canoe-Kayak Club with his sister around the age of seven.
Field of study or future profession:
Hugues is currently studying communications.